Rusk and Chippewa counties are home to some of the best river paddling in the Midwest. The Chippewa, Flambeau, Jump and Thornapple rivers offer a wide variety of canoeing and kayaking opportunities, from whitewater to still-water. Run the Cedar Rapids on the Flambeau River or take a relaxing paddle around Brunet Island on the Chippewa River. In addition to excellent paddling, you'll find great fishing, a number of riverside camping options and outstanding birdwatching.
These are the top paddling opportunities on the Chippewa, Flambeau, Jump and Thornapple Rivers.
- Chippewa River – Brunet Island
- Chippewa River – Bruce to the Flambeau River
- Chippewa River – Hwy D to Imalone
- Chippewa River – Imalone to Bruce
- Chippewa River – Lake Wissota
- Flambeau River – Big Falls Dam to Ladysmith
- Flambeau River – Hervas Camp to Big Falls
- Flambeau River – Ladysmith to Thornapple River
- Flambeau River – Thornapple Dam to Chippewa River
- Jump River – Sheldon to Lake Holcombe
- Jump River – 73 to Sheldon
- Thornapple River – Hwy 27 to Bruce